Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Walk 'n' buy

Yay! I can walk again! Well, normally at any rate. Still wearing trainers though, but no limp. It's a wonderful thing!

My aunt took a bunch of us to one of the local primary schools to help support a fundraiser. Several clothes shops have donated a range of clothes (suspiciously end-of-line looking I must add) and selling them off at a discount price. To make it more fun, the school had asked for six 'mums' to model the clothes and demonstrate how the clothes are wearable for 'normal sized' people. They walked up a makeshift catwalk a little nervously at first, but got into the 'feel' of it by the third clothes change and visibly started to enjoy themselves more. Friends in the audience cheered and joshed them on and we clapped for the more revealing outfits!!

After the show, everyone was handed a complimentary plastic cup of wine and the clothes racks came out. My goodness, it was like the January sales! Suddenly, you couldn't move for women grabbing at articles and rushing into the makeshift dressing area - a reception classroom. Half-naked women danced around the mirrors propped up against a giant abacus and a whiteboard. The desks and chalkboards were used as clothes props. Someone uttered the infamous line, "Does my bum look big in this?" I simply had to look-see. Her bum wasn't particularly big but the flared skirt wasn't doing much to flatter it. I restrained myself from nodding.

Anna bought a zip-up rollneck and Rosemary bought a hoodie and t-shirt. I declined. I can't impulse buy. I have to go away, think about it, and buy it the following week. It must be a Taurean thing.

But I can impulse buy a pair of shoes.

That must be a woman thing!

No comments: