Saturday, October 02, 2004

Lakeside

I took my friend shopping today for her birthday. It was actually yesterday but I sort of forgot about it because I was going to buy her present for her today when she chose it, so it completely slipped my mind to buy her a birthday card. But I did send her a text yesterday. Not that the picture was compatible with her phone, but it's the thought that counts!

So, anyway, every year I take her on a shopping trip to one of the complexes and Lakeside in Thurrock was pencilled in for this year. We had intended to spend most of the time window shopping for a wedding dress but decided not to temp fate as her boyfriend hasn't exactly proposed yet... He's just asking all the type of questions that lead up to an impending proposal, such as, "How do you think your parents would feel about having me as a son-in-law?" which I think is pretty much spot-on.

Instead, we trawled the clothes shops for the 'tall' ranges I was blithering on about last week with a ray of hope, as all the shops are twice the size of the ones in the Town. Walked into Topshop and tried on their coats - they fitted perfectly. They came in cream or black and had fake fur collars, a feature I'm not all keen on. I said I'd think about it and we continued our search. Eventually I saw the perfect coat in DP. It was the right length on the body and sleeves, had good-sized pockets, and came in a cream or dusky pink tweed-look. I took the pink one and hugged it. I am so happy! I simply love my new coat! :)

I also bought some music, something I really don't do all that often. I bought Keane's album, Hopes and Fears, cos I've been meaning to get it for ages and never really got around to it. Then this morning I discovered vouchers for Virgin Megastores that I had from my birthday and decided that I would use them! So I bought Keane and then I was really torn choosing between Snow Patrol, The Libertines and Maroon 5, but in the end I plumped for a reduced Coldplay album which I had also meant to get for some time: A Rush of Blood to the Head. I can always ask for one of the other albums for Christmas.

I think that's the one thing that was rather annoying about the whole day - It's the 2nd October and all the shops have Christmas decorations and gifts already on display. "Only twelve weeks to Christmas" someone told me. Yeah? And? Christmas is overhyped. What is Christmas? People spending too much and eating too much. Its about over-extravagance and Christmas is supposed to be the opposite of that. I hate that Christmas is one big entrepreneural event for businesses. I hate that the build-up to Christmas is one big anti-climax. Some parts I love - the shopping, wrapping gifts, decorating the tree, getting all dressed up, being able to eat lots of mince pies and mint chocolates, and have cream in my coffee without feeling guilty! But the day itself as a whole is just too much. I actually prefer Boxing Day.

Maybe I should just do something different. Anyone fancy going away for Christmas?

No comments: