Thursday, September 30, 2004

Just like 1974

The computers were down at work today. All day. The boss came in at 9.15am and said, “I’ve spoken to IT about the network and its down. They're trying to fix it. It could take minutes; could take hours.”
Someone piped up, “Can we go home then?”

He laughed a bit nervously. I guess that means ‘No’ then!

So people generally did nothing all day. The phones hardly rang, since most of our calls are made internally and, with no computers up, nobody was ringing with enquiries. People were standing around chatting, drinking coffee and generally just mooching around. Paper balls and elastic bands started flying all over the place. An electronic noise was randomly set off. It was like being in a classroom of mischievous kids!

By 11.30am, it was obvious the network wasn’t going to be up until at least mid-afternoon, so everyone just did site visits all day. I did some much-needed archiving and filing, but by 2pm, I was bored silly and had absolutely NOTHING to do! I played with my mobile, phoned a couple of the girls in other offices and had a good natter, but it was just stupid having to sit in the office all day and do nothing.

It was a bit like before computers came out - a sort of time-warp into office life thirty years ago with everyone having to write everything down. It would drive me crazy not being able to use a computer. I live by computers. Writing down everything is so archaic! Geez, I even have an on-line diary rather than a manual one!! Go figure...


No comments: