Friday, September 17, 2004

Tonight

It's Rosemary's birthday on Monday so I decided to try and get her something tonight after work. I wanted to get a necklace she had pointed out a couple of weeks ago in the Argos catalogue. I'd already tried my local store and the jewellery counter said it was selling out fast. So I decided to go on-line and reserve it for collection at a store somewhere in the local vicinity. The only place in Brookfield Farm so I reserve it and go there after dinner.

Of course, 7pm at night, the place is deserted and I'm in and out in ten minutes. I don't have to be in Cuffley to see my mate until 8pm so I wander around the shops and browse through the music section in Tesco. I can't see anything I really want and rifle through the bargain shelves. There, sitting all proudly on the top shelf, is a relatively new album by Westlife. It's a Greatest Hits album they released last Christmas and it has all eleven of their number ones.

Now, lets get one thing straight: I am NOT a Westlife fan. Most of their songs sound the same, at least three of their number ones were covers: I Have A Dream - Abba; Mandy - Barry Manilow; Against All Odds - Phil Collins and they are an irritatingly good-looking boy group (I'm loathe to say 'band' cos they don't play instruments). But they do have one very good song - Tonight. The video is creepy: It shows a woman opening a locker to find a wedding dress inside and that's how her guy proposes to her. If a guy proposed to me by pre-buying my wedding dress I'd run a mile!

But its a great song. And the entire album is £4.95, the price of a single. So I have an album by Westlife. At the same price I also bought Britney's self-titled album, but at least she has a little more 'oomph' and bite in her songs, and doesn't care what people think or say about her. She does her own thing and has fun doing it. I like Britney. I think I kinda like Westlife too. I did mention they are irritatingly good-looking...?

1 comment:

omouse said...

Did you hear she got married over the weekend? It's been all over our psuedo news... along with Madonna's trip to Israel... Yeah... Sure... Israel's no more dangerous than New York. Right. Especially when you have your own security force.