Tuesday, September 21, 2004

MOT plus Service

It’s that time of year again when the car has to be MOT-ed so I can purchase a tax disc. I included a service as well this year cos the car’s five years old. I dropped Anna off at work, drove the car to the garage at Ponders End, and then took the train to work. I stood on the platform in my denim jacket, freezing to death, and wishing I’d dug out my winter coat. At least four ‘fast trains’ from Stansted pass before one stops to take me three stations down the line. I always wonder why I don’t use public transport more often and it only takes a day like today for me to remember why – public transport in London sucks.

Anyway, they reported a repair to the rear jet washer, headlight re-alignment, replacement of front brake pads, oil and filter change, and general maintenance: £317 of work. I was shocked and appalled, considering at least £200 was for labour charges. They also reported the front tyres were losing tread, but I told them I’d get them changed elsewhere.
"But you could get pulled over," I was warned.
"I’ll take my chances," I retorted.

I drove home and couldn’t feel any difference to the front brakes. Maybe its cos the tyres need changing?

No comments: