Saturday, September 25, 2004

Tall people unite!

It's getting colder so I decide that I'll treat myself to a new winter coat, one of those snazzy ¾ length numbers, since my long calf-length winter coat looks rather silly with jeans and trainers. How difficult can it be to find a winter coat in England in September? Harder than you think if you're 6'2".

We have a good selection of shops in the town - Next, DP, Topshop, Monsoon, River Island, Krisp, Principles, etc - and there are more than enough choices of coats. Unfortunately, none of them have long enough sleeves on them and I need at least two inches or more each time. Being tall certainly has its advantages, don't get me wrong, I love being tall! It's just when it comes to either dating or clothes shopping, I always find myself disappointed by the end of the day.

Shops generally cater for 'regular' sized people - between 5'5" and 5'9" in height, and 6 to 18 in size. Then you have the 'petite' and 'larger-size' sections that are usually bundled together at the back of the shop with the maternity section. These clothes are usually the same designs and prices as those in the main body of the shop, just proportioned for the larger or smaller person.

When it comes to tall people, it's a different story. Not all high street stores have a tall section and when they do, its about four racks of jeans and trousers, with one design of suit jacket if you're lucky. You don't get long-sleeved shirts, jackets, coats, sweaters... And the prices are more, sometimes as much as £10 extra. The funny thing is, they will supply cropped trousers. Well, if a tall person wanted crops, they'd go to the 'regular' section and pick up a regular pair of trousers! Designers have no idea, especially since the world population is generally taller and larger than it was 50 years ago.

I admit that I do shop at LTS and Nine to Elleven which do cater for women over 5'9" but the clothes are quite expensive for what they are. For instance, I love LTS jeans but I pay £40 each time, while my sister walks into Topshop or New Look and buys jeans for £20-£25. It's really unfair, especially since its only a couple of inches of extra material.

I guess one day designers will realise that people are taller and will eventually cater better for them. Until then, I'll continue my hunt for a winter coat that fits me properly and is decently priced!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel your pain ! I'm 6'0 and i like it, until it comes time to find long sleeved sweaters, coats, 36 inseam pants and men over 6'0 ! I've found MANY useful sites though... I'm in the US and not sure if these stores ship to UK but u can definitely give it a shot! I know the first site (tallwomen.org is set up with this dude that's fascinated with tall women and it has alot of uk sites)..but here are some I use.

http://tallwomen.org/
- www.alloy.com (36'' inseam pants)
- www.jcrew.com (they have a "tall" line - expensive but worth it. sleeves ARE longer)
- www.tallgirlshop.com (they usually have nice winter stuff but they are sold out. Keep an eye on it though! This is one of my Fav stores).
- www.gap.com (tall line)