Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Personal statement

Anna is currently agonising over her personal statement for her entry into a teaching course at university. I’m helping her a little with her phrasing and grammar, but she’s been doing this for a week now and it is getting boring. She says that a woman at her workplace is going to help her secure a placement through Middlesex University. That'll be good for her as she won't have far to commute every day. She's just thrown her pen down. I think she's getting bored too.

She’s now trying to take off her earrings. She got her ears pierced a couple of months ago and I asked her if she could change her earrings yet. Anna said, “Yeah… if I could get them off!”
Are they stuck then?
“A bit. The problem is they’re still a bit watery and I don’t want to take them out and not be able to put them back in again. I’ll be like some one-earring pirate woman!”
After much fiddling in front of the mirror, she heaves a sigh and says, “That‘s enough earring twiddling for one night. Here, read my statement. There are some gaps.”

I go through it with a fine red pen. There aren’t many mistakes; just a few mixed-tense sentences. I’ll finish it properly once the gaps are filled.

No comments: