Sunday, September 05, 2004

Dead Duck

I know. I'm actually rather ashamed to admit it. But I went to a sci-fi convention. Actually it wasn't a convention as such; more like 200 tables strewn together and blokes from about mid-thirties upwards trying to sell you comics, figurines, games, DVDs, VHS tapes, anything that even slightly murmured 'sci-fi'. But its a Sunday afternoon; the TV schedule is pretty dismal; it's a gorgeous day outside; and Dad is in Brixton. Perfect.

Anna, Heather and myself bundle into my Ka and we head off to Cheshunt. Granted, by the time we got there everyone had started packing up, but it was alright! Heather bought a poster, Anna mused over the Buffy figures, and I... got a terrific bargain. I'm just rummaging through the books on one stall and, lo and behold, what do I spy but an Avengers book! And not just any old Avengers book, ladies and gentlemen, but one of the rare ones too! Dead Duck (and Deadline, another book) "... starring Steed and Mrs Peel, are regarded as the best in the series. Both are rare. However, both titles were repackaged in 1994, by Titan Books."* And, yep, you've guessed it, I have a bona fide copy of the 1965 version. Sold for £2. It could get a fair bit more at auction, although it's slightly liquid-stained (I think it's tea...) and smells oh-so-musty. You know, that 'old library book' smell that uni students theorise about being intoxicating to disguise why they really like being in the library. I'm happy with my purchase. I'm not selling it just yet. The story in itself is kinda boring although I might try and adapt it into a screenplay for fun.

*Quote taken from The Ultimate Avengers by Dave Rogers

2 comments:

omouse said...

Now I want to know how you did footnotes with the little stary thing in your blog! I'm jealous!
And never be shy to admit you might have geek or nerd tendecies.

Athene19 said...

Just insert an asterisk after your quote and at the end of your blog, insert another asterisk, highlight your text, and select a smaller sized font. No special footnote/endnote shortcuts, I'm afraid...