Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The mystery bank statement credit

I got a weird entry on my bank statement today. I'm checking through it as normal, and I have a £40 deduction from 17th February. I rack my brains to think what I was doing on a Thursday that required money to be deducted from my account. Hang on... Where's Dunmow? There, in black and white, is somewhere called Dunmow, and £40 was taken out there. I'm confused and ask Anna if she can remember what I was doing.
"Thursday of half-term?" she muses. "You took Rosemary out Wednesday, yes?"
Yeah, I have the 16th February and a deduction for Pizza Hut in WC12.
"Didn't I see Marita that day? I think I met Terry's dad."
Marita lives in Enfield Town and Terry lives in Palmers Green. Not this weird place...
"I know I had a driving lesson on the Friday." (Pause) "What on earth did you do Thursday?"

I couldn't remember. It bugged me for ages. And then later, whilst washing up and my mind is just wandering, I remember. I run into the living room, foam dripping from my wrists, and yell at Anna, "GOTTIT!!!" I had my card credited by the B&B owner in Felsted, Dunmow. I've paid for a room I'm not gonna stay in until 3rd April. Weird... But I'm glad that little niggle has been cleared up.

This reminds me of when I had to wire some money to Melissa last summer. The form had a box where I could put a special message, so I would know what the credit was for. I put down something along the lines of "From Athene19 to Liarbyrd - S'bort". I'm sure that raised a few eyebrows at the head office...! And it makes a fun entry in an otherwise boring bank statement.

No comments: