Thursday, January 20, 2005

One wedding and a singleton

Today I received an invite for Tara and Peter’s wedding in April. Weddings are cool - free food, a usually well-equipped bar, a good chance to catch up with people you may not have seen for some time, and generally a chance to have a good old time.

The only problems I have with weddings is that they celebrate togetherness and, disregarding my latest attempt at a relationship, I have believed for some time that some people are just not meant to be in a ‘couple’. Having been single for the vast majority of my life, I find that I actually like it like that and, even though I often find myself wishing I had another person to depend on, I like my single status, my independence away from others, and the fact that I’m bucking from the trend where women have to get married and have kids in favour of concentrating on a career and basically doing things for ME. Sure it’s selfish, but then so are the people who call to sell kitchens or double glazing while I’m eating my dinner.

At least the invite just stated my name and not something like ‘Clare + 1’ or ‘Clare and Guest’. It shows that people are comfortable with me being single and that I don’t have to scour the countryside for a bloke called Guest.

1 comment:

Verve said...

Rage Rage Clare against the marital machine! Or something.

Interestingly enough, before I met my husband D. I was pretty much convinced that I would never marry. Of course, after five years of that D convinced me otherwise.

Regardless, I hate awkward societal pressures. You should, if life tosses you a strong wind, be able to bring a date or a companion to the wedding. We need new etiquette.