Saturday, January 01, 2005

Goodnight 2004

I was woken up by the sun this morning (stupid east-facing window) and probably got a total of four hours sleep. I jump into the shower, get dressed, and realise I've left my book at home. Andrew must have reading material somewhere... Nope. We have a collection of computer programming books, a Thai cookbook, and zero reading material. I play with my mobile phone, text people 'Happy new year!' and try and imagine different room layouts for the flat.

Andrew eventually emerges about 12.20pm, three hours after I woke up. We slowly potter about, yawning away, and wander around a few shops in the city centre. I know it's New Year's Day but it's also a Saturday and only half the shops were open. And they all closed by 4pm. We were rushed in Dolcis where I bought the prettiest pair of pink sandals for £15. (I love shoe sales!!)

In the end though, we decide that we are way too tired to be bothered to actually do much and, now that it's dark outside, we could maybe sleep for a couple of hours before going out. I'm promised to be woken at 6pm, and we both get some shut-eye. At 8.20pm, I wake up shivering (I don't think the radiator works in the spare room) and stagger into the bathroom, completely disorientated from my evening nap, and my body not knowing what time of the day or night it is. My mock-anger at being left to sleep was countered - Andy has cooked for me and thought it'd be nice of him to let me sleep. Too disorientated to argue, I decide to just eat and keep quiet!

We eventually head out for a couple of drinks at 10pm. Hardly anyone is about and only a handful of pubs are open. It's like a ghost town! Only two weeks ago to the day, Nottingham was pumping with people. Tonight, I think we saw a total of maybe 100 people in two bars and all the streets inbetween. It was, in a word, dead. I couldn't believe it. In a way, though, it was good because we could talk without having to strain over loud music or other conversations. We finally gave up about midnight and headed back for, yep, more sleep! I can't believe I spent the majority of my first day of 2005 sleeping...

No comments: