Tuesday, January 11, 2005

The Benton Bunch?

Yesterday I was officially told about how Dad and Pam want to sell their respective properties and have us live all together as one big happy family. I’ve already known about it for a couple of months now, so it wasn’t a great shock. I was really just biding my time, wondering when they were actually gonna tell me. I had visions of being told to “pack a box because we're moving out tomorrow”.

Anyway, I just smiled sweetly and said “Cool.” Not in a tone that said, “Oh, great, wow, I'm thrilled” but more in a resigned tone, like “Whatever you wanna do is fine” sort of thing. Dad tries to soften his approach. “You would like a room of your own, wouldn't you? I know you have had to share with Anna all the time. It'd be nice to have your own space, wouldn't it?”

What got me was how he was bragging about being able to afford a seven bedroom house in Hadley Wood and I can’t even afford a studio flat in Edmonton. So I’m having to be all smiles so I don’t get chucked out when Dad actually does sell up and move on. I need to secure my place in the new house, maybe even enough to snag an en suite bedroom. It’s worth a shot…

I told Mark about it at work today. He said, “All of you together? Like The Waltons?”
“More like the fucking Brady Bunch(!)”
Mark laughed. “Yeah, I guess so…”


3 comments:

Nancey said...

It sad what you have to do to get a room of your own. However, I am thinking of Benton Bunch lyrics: "Here's a story, of a man named Stanely..."

You're not smiling, are you? Hmm, didn't think so.

Athene19 said...

Of course I'm smiling! I'm actually thinking about downloading the Brady Bunch song so I know how it goes and can re-write the lyrics to suit us. I s'pose it would be something along the lines of: "There was a divorced lady, who needed lots of money fast..."

omouse said...

Definitely claim your territory in a new house. I mean that's what Tricia did... and she STILL gets free rent and uses Mom as a free housecleaning and cooking service.