Saturday, November 13, 2004

The Lord Mayor's Show

I went to the Lord Mayor's Show on Saturday with Rosemary and my grandfather, a sort of traditional thing we do every year. For those of you who don't know, the Lord Mayor is elected every year by the Corporation of London to run the capital. Most of the money is from taxpayers but the Lord Mayor can actually spend up to £3/4 million of his own money. This year he will be concentrating on the tourist attractions for London to try and boost our chances of the 2012 Olympic bid. I don't think we'll get it and I don't want to get it. The Government will spend ridiculous amounts of money on strangely designed buildings that will fall into disrepair as soon as the athletes go home. My proof? The Millennium Dome. Paris will get the bid, almost certainly.

Anyway, back to the show...! The procession gets longer every year and we stood in the cold watching it for an hour and a half. It was fun and I always enjoy it, but I was so cold by the time it was over, my legs hurt when I tried to walk away. I couldn't feel my fingers or my feet and toes. It was madness.

We walked from Mansion House to the West End and ate at Salieri, opposite the Savoy and Simpsons. The décor is fabulous - murals on the walls, all sorts of various lampshades hanging from the ceiling, and a rather interestingly designed toilet...

Anyway, Rosemary and I were knackered by this point so we left the restuarant and jumped into a black cab to Westminster Abbey to walk around the Garden of Remembrance. Surprisingly for a 12yr old, Rosemary was quite touched by the sight of hundreds of minature crosses planted in the grass. It was great to know she saw it on another level, other than "Nice, a bunch of crosses!" The only relative I have that died during the actual warfare was my great uncle Bob Lambeth - his plane was shot down over occupied France. A few of my other relatives died as a result of the war, through injuries.

So I didn't do any Nano. Too tired. Sleeeeeeeeeeep....

No comments: