Sunday, July 13, 2008

The West bank

It is a scorcher today and I do not feel good. I’m very excited to see the Valley of the Kings and we have an early start as it is very exposed so its important to see it all before the sun gets too high. However, as it is with most tour groups, there are always slow people and it makes the day drag longer than necessary. Today felt like one of those days. Its only 9am and I feel very faint with the heat.

I somehow manage to go into the tombs of Rameses the Great and Rameses IV before feeling so bad I simply have to sit down. My stomach is cramping like mad and the tablets I took earlier are not helping at all. One of the women on the boat with us offered to take me back so we go to the centre for a loo break and then to the coach. We drive on to Hatsheput’s temple and I think I’m going to collapse, even though I’m sitting down in an air-conditioned coach! I stay behind. Reuben feels bad leaving me behind and offers to stay with me, but I tell him to go on without me or I’ll feel bad for making him miss out!

It is turning out to be 47C today and even Reuben is suffering from the heat! Everyone returns from the temple and just before we set off again I throw up. So much for the scarab’s good luck! Only the thing is, the loo is so small that I have to stand outside so I can lean over the bowl so everyone can hear me and the poor couple behind me have to watch the entire thing. Great. I’m sick and incredibly embarrassed. I apologise to the couple behind me.
“As long as you’re okay?” the man says.
I weakly nod, feeling like absolute shit, and try to sleep on Reuben’s shoulder. The coach sets off for the Valley of the Queens. I just want to sleep. Some others stay back on the coach as well as its now too hot for them as well.

By the time we get back to the Orchid everyone is asking if I’m okay, that I seem to look better, and maybe I should have some hot lime juice and sleep. I go straight to my cabin and sleep all day. I get woken up for lunch but refuse to eat. I get woken up for dinner and manage two spoons of soup before feeling sick again. Man I feel soooo shitty.

No comments: