Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Day 5 - Wine tasting in Napa

We are in Napa so the only thing we can do is... wine tasting!! We picked up a flyer that has free or complimentary tasting 'flights' and circled all of them on the map. There are literally 100 wineries and vineyards all along Napa, St Helens, Yountville and Calistoga, so we were picking and choosing!

First stop was a chocolate shop, Annette's, where Jenny purchases a box of chocolates and a bottle of port chocolate sauce, which was a little strong for my liking. We then head into the Valley.

We went to five where we got free tastings, one of which we bought bottles of gorgeously-sweet wine and some equally gorgeous-tasting cheese! We then went to the Frank Family winery where I announced I had had enough wine for one day. It was hot, I hadn't eaten properly, and I'm downing all kinds of wine without any water inbetween! Jenny bought bottles here too, before we headed to Sterling, our last stop for the day. We took the cable car up the hillside to the winery at the top. We did the short walking tour of the winery, looking at the presses and barrels, before our last tasting of the day. I purchased wine here too because it was too scrumptious and I want Napa Valley wine in the my cupboard!!

In the afternoon, searching for a light snack in Calistoga, Jenny dropped in on a family friend who offered us use of her house until she had finished work. So we had a Napa Salad to share and went to the house, just a short drive away from Calistoga and the Petrified Forest. The house was cool as were Joe and Jean. They offered us dinner and we shared the chocolates bought this morning. Jenny took advantage of the port on offer while Joe and I had some Jim Beam and Glenfiddich! :) We arranged to meet again in San Francisco for lunch before departing... and I feel a little bit sick from all the alcohol consumption!

No comments: