Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Day 4 - San Simeon to Napa

We drove from San Simeon up towards Vallejo, past Berkeley and into Napa Valley... or so we thought. The 80 veered left and suddenly we're on a bridge.

Clare: "I thought we were gonna hit the bridge a bit later."
Jenny: "If you look to the left you should be able to see the Golden Gate Bridge."
Clare: "I can't see anything on your left!"
Jenny: "Oh look! There it is on the right!"
Clare: "But... if it's on the right, that means..."

I look up from my map and see tower blocks coming into view.

Clare: "We're on the Bay Bridge heading into San Francisco!"
Jenny: "...Fancy lunch?"

So we have lunch in San Francisco. Which has nothing to do with my map reading skills. Neither of us saw the 80 offering a right-turn away from San Francisco and into the direction we wanted to go. We reckon its a conspiracy to make people go to San Francisco and pay the Bay Bridge toll.

After lunch we head to Walgreens as my watch battery has ticked its last tock. The shopkeeper validates our parking ticket and we purchase a cheap purple watch (which incidently glows in the dark) and hair dye!!

Back in the car, we successfully navigate our way to Napa Valley and check into the motel. We then search the brochures and find a cool French cafe by the riverside called Angelos. I order a bottle of water which bills as $7. I am horrified when Jenny tells me this. However, there's still a long way to go before I catch up with her $130 mistake. :) The food was gorgeous though, and we had soup and salad, a cheese 'platter' to share (it could hardly be called a platter when there was only four bitesized portions of cheese, some honey and a thin slice of apple) and fruity cocktails.

Our wallets worse for wear, we head back to the motel and dye our hair. I dye Jenny's hair a shocking red, which is actually only a bit shocking where her former highlights have soaked up the dye. I then dye my own hair blonder so it looks sunkissed for a while when I'm back at work. However, there was somoe bad news - Jenny's hair dye turned the white towel pink. And the colour stain refused to come out. We hid it among other white towels and hope we don't get billed for it!

TOTAL MILES (including the San Francisco detour): 259.83

No comments: