Saturday, April 15, 2006

Day 1 - Los Angeles to Santa Barbara

I arrive in Los Angeles, slightly bedraggled but okay. I have just survived a 10-hour flight with zero knee crushing from the seat in front, so it was a good flight! Jenny greets me (after observing lots of people arriving with surfboards in very large cases) and we head out to the rental car we will be living in for the next week. In a word, it is ginormous! Its a brand new Dodge Charger with the widest dashboard you ever did see. "I was thinking about your leg room" Jenny offered, but it also means I will not attempt on any account to drive the car. Even though I can legally. So we immediately hit the road to Sata Barbara. I don't feel jetlagged. It's weird.

We arrive at the Sandpiper Motel and check in. Well... What happens is that Jenny hands over the confirmation email and the desk clerk looks a little perplexed and then says, "This is for last night. Do you have a booking for today?"

Jenny's face is one of complete horror. She's accidently booked Friday night instead of Saturday night! She explains her mistake and manages to get another room but she has to pay the full price again - another whole $130. The desk clerk says she might be able to get $50 back if she calls the manager on Monday and explains the situation.

We dump our stuff in the motel room, Jenny muttering about the cock-up and the money. All I can offer in my partially jetlagged state is that if this is the worst thing that can happen to us, it can't all be bad. We flip through brochures, leaflets, and the motel's advertisements and find a restuarant on the seafront called Eladio's. I really want to eat there, just for the name. You know? "Eladio! You are El Chupacabra!!"

We head for the coast (initially in the wrong direction) and find the restuarant. Except we expected Spanish or Mexican food and it was Italian. The food was good but the serving was way too big. And very garlicky. I think the burger was more garlic than meat!

All I have left to say about the day was that it was cold. I mean the temperature was good, around 15, but the wind was cold. I'm glad I brought my zip-up hoodie.

TOTAL MILES: 102.55

No comments: