Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Parents

For reasons I can't remember, I agreed to meet R's parents. I cannot tell you how nervous I am. Normally when I meet the parents of friends, everything is fine and they think I'm adorable/ look like my mother/ very tall/ etc. But this is a guy's parents we're talking about, specifically his mother. It is a well-known fact that most mothers believe that no woman is good enough for their son. I am therefore understandably nervous.

I arrive incredibly promptly - bang on the dot perfect timing. I politely take my shoes off upon entering and shake the hands of his parents, who are grinning ear to ear. I'm praying its a good sign! I'm offered a drink and I decline, visions of various spillage-related accidents going through my head. I'm pressed further and decide to just go with the flow and, yes, tea would be lovely. Two minutes later, I'm being offered bone china on a tray. My stomach flips. Various swear words fail to pass my lips. I take the cup and saucer, visibly shaking. But no spillages occured and the china stayed intact throughout the sitting.

And apparently it went well. His parents like me. Well, his mother does anyway. My father doesn't even know about us yet...

No comments: