Saturday, June 11, 2005

Canterbury

R has never been to Canterbury so I offered to take him there sometime. Within days he has a room at the Holiday Inn booked up and we're off for the weekend. I decide that my father would probably hit the roof if he found out that, not only did I have a boyfriend, but I was planning to spend the weekend away with him. So I told a little fib... It wasn't a bad one, and I didn't exactly lie, I just omitted some facts that were the truth! I said I was staying in Canterbury - truth. He just presumed it was with Debbie. At no point did I say that I was or was not staying with Debbie. So I'm in the clear!!

Being my controlling self, I drove us to Canterbury and talked the entire way! I can talk for England, I swear!! I did a little guided tour, driving around the old fortress wall to Northgate, then going straight up St Stephens towards the university. Drove around the university campus, pointing out where we stayed, ate, had lectures, our hangout (bus shelters outside Keynes) and drove back down the 'front entrance' so we could see the magnificent view of Canterbury city centre. After that, I drove down the hill and through the town to the Westgate, finally parking up at Canterbury West station.

We did the usual stuff: watched a double decker bus pass through the Westgate; ambled around the Cathedral; admired the eclectic mix of Tudor, Victorian, Edwardian and modern buildings all built next to eachother in the high street; walked through the Westgate gardens and hung out under the arch; stared at the Beaney Institute; saw the wonky doorway to the art shop round the back streets; browsed through hippy-junk shop Siesta... everything!! And in the evening, we ate at my favourite restaurant, Marlowe's. I was surprised we even managed to get a table at such short notice! It must be because all the students have gone home...

R liked Canterbury a lot and we decided to go back sometime for a long weekend. Just not enough time in one day to do it all!

No comments: