Friday, May 20, 2005

Daa-daa, da-da-da-daa-daa!

It all started off innocently enough. R and I decided to spend our evening shooting pool up at Bruce Grove since I had been rather unsuccessful in obtaining cinema tickets for Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith. Why I have agreed to go play pool is a mystery as I am truly pathetic... I can't even hold or aim the damn cue properly so I don't stand a chance of even coming near winning! So we're circling the pool table, talking about how we don't care where we see the film, just so long as we get to see it, when we (okay, he) had a thought: Why don't we go to the run-down cinema in Picketts Lock and take our chances there? As the cinema is generally falling apart and there are nicer places to go, we stand more of a chance there than anywhere else.

So we abandon our game and drive to Picketts Lock. The car park is pretty full, which is a rarity in itself, but we manage to pretty much walk straight in to the film. The cinema was showing Star Wars on four screens at an hour apart... at the cinema I was trying to get tickets at, it was showing on a multitude of screens at 20mins apart!! So we got to see the film, which was pretty awesome in itself. It was way better than 1 and 2, and maybe just as good as 4 and 6. I don't like 5. Don't get me wrong - it has its moments - but I feel that its just a bridge between 4 and 6, and doesn't hold any real substance.

Anyways... the film!! Okay, obviously, some people may not have seen it yet and I don't want to give anything away, but when Vader gets suited up for the first time in his suit, I worked so hard not to squeal in delight! It was a fantastic moment!! The lightsabre fights were fast and furious (and I love the fact that Samuel L Jackson has a purple one!!). Most of the CGI was excellent and very realistic, although I still felt Yoda needed more texture. There was no delightfully comedic banter between C-3PO and R2-D2 although I guess it may have been a little out of place with the mood of the film as a whole. Anakin's slow descent to the Dark Side was good, although it could have done with going a little slower. He seemed to be okay and then suddenly, he was bowing to Sideous. He could have put up a bit more of a fight...

But I did enjoy it as a whole. The Wookie battle was fun and it was nice to see (finally!) how Sideous killed off the Jedis and took over the Republic to create one Galactic Empire that he controlled. He perfectly manipulated everything considered to be part of the Dark Side (greed, weakness, deception, etc) and used it to great effect. And of course, it was great seeing how everything else was put into place in line with how Star Wars IV began - remaining Jedis going into exile, the splitting up of Luke and Leia to keep them safe from the Sith... Loved it!! Might even go see it again before the week is out!!

No comments: