Saturday, February 26, 2005

Summer holiday

I was up until 2.30am this morning trying to get as much information possible on holidaying in the West Country this year. I even took notes! I have this pile of paper next to me with info such as caravan and chalet berths, nearby attractions, prices, and restrictions on all female group bookings. I'm actually rather offended by the non-all female bookings. It's insulting to think that a group of females in their late 20's can't be trusted not to trash their accommodation. Still, rules are rules, and typically it's the cheaper places that don't allow it.

I've come to the conclusion that, as romantic as it sounds, B&B-ing along the south coast is rather expensive, requires too much planning, and means that more time is spent travelling than doing anything else. So, I'm voting like mad for a holiday park. They have on-site facilities, there's no restrictions on coming and going, and self-catering means that we can have a cheaper alternative to eating out three times a day for a week. They are also excellent base points for visiting localities and attractions, and provide evening entertainment when the card playing becomes a bore.

Jenny is carrying out some excellent research. Really, I am very proud of her abilities to just source knowledge from the Internet. Of course I'm writing essays for comments on everything from price checking to weather! My only worry is that, by the time we've actually decided on somewhere, it's all gonna be booked up and we'll be back at the beginning. Most places are booked a couple of years in advance due to popularity. Sometimes, it's gotten to the point where my father phones the main office and says, "Right, what do you have left?" I'm serious!

My instincts told me that the further inland and from principal towns we are, the cheaper it will be. However, research has found these secluded places are also expensive because they indulge in large log cabins and you pay for the privilege of being out in the middle of nowhere. It's mind boggling stuff. I'm now trying for the northern coast of Devon or Somerset, as this area seems to be a little cheaper than the south coast. It only takes an hour to get from north to south so it shouldn't make much difference as a whole.

*sigh* My head hurts. Sleep... That sounds so good right now...

No comments: