Saturday, February 05, 2005

The day fashion died

Anna had to go to a Teaching seminar today but wasn't feeling too good so I offered to accompany her to Embankment before setting off to Oxford Street in my search for Sketchers and the perfect dress. Halfway through my plans, I was supposed to meet Mina for lunch but she texted to say that she was in A&E and wouldn't be able to make it. It just gave me the entire day to work on my quest - excellent!

Unfortunately I found the downside to getting older... I don't like the current fashion. I know, I was horrified myself when I realised it. But I walked through Jane Norman, Morgan, Topshop, Selfridges, all my usual haunts, and all I could find were micro minis, slouch boots (a personal hate), peasant skirts, smocked tops and cheap-looking sequined numbers. Is this what young people of London wear? It would seem so. In fact, the only things I saw and really liked was a £500 John Frieda dress in Selfridges and a £350 Ghost dress in House of Fraser. I can never justify buying designer, and defintely cannot justify those amounts of money for something I would hardly ever wear. What is a girl to do?

I bravely took some items off the rails in New Look and settled into the changing room. I put stuff on and tried my best to like it... but it wasn't happening. I looked like mutton dressed as lamb - a twentysomething trying to look like a tweenie. I give up. Or maybe I should just give Trinny and Susannah a ring...?

PS Cropped trousers are a bad look for everyone. Please do not wear unless you want to look like you've just jumped ship.

2 comments:

Verve said...

The problem is, with most fashion now, and it could be a contributing reason why you don't fancy any of it, is that the styles have essentially not changed in 9 or 10 years. It's the same old, same old, same old that we are all tired of. There is nothing new, wow, or creative to it.

If I see another woman wearing a Burberry micro-mini over the age of 16 I am going to scream!

Athene19 said...

Well, I didn't know if what I picked up was a top or a dress... It was scary that I didn't know what sort of items all the clothes were. I was freaked out!!