Monday, February 14, 2005

St Valentine's Day

*sigh* Empty postbox again.

Okay, that was a lie. I had some mail today. A pay slip, a bank statement, and two clothes catalogues. No cards. Dreams and visions of walking into work and finding my desk buried under a mountain of rose petals and swathes of chiffon disintegrated when nothing was on my desk save two sample bags of suspected asbestos floor tiles.

Is romance dead? Aren't I supposed to have a secret admirer writing me cute little notes and threading single stems through my windscreen wipers for me to find? Okay, if that happened, I would probably go to the police and report a suspected stalker. But I want to have something incurably romantic to happen to me!

My mate said that if her boyfriend bought her anything for Valentine's Day, she would get mad because he shouldn't be wasting his money on her. (Yes, she actually said that!) My other mate said that buying stuff on Valentine's Day wasn't romantic because it's expected and it's more romantic to be spontaneous. Okay, he's male and is just trying to justify not ever buying flowers. But is it really that dreary on the romanic outlook?

I'm not saying I want to grow fat on endless boxes of chocolate, have a room full of cuddly bears, and have vases full of flowers that only last a few days. I'm just asking for a little romance. Even if its just a card on St V's.

2 comments:

Nancey said...

I admire you, though not secretly. It's pretty public my admiration.

Athene19 said...

I know sweetie. And I admire you too!! :)