Saturday, February 19, 2005

Calling from Cheshunt...?

Dad thinks he's found it. The house he was looking for. It's an ex-B&B in Cheshunt, almost on top of the train station and ten yards from a pub. The location explains the knock-down price (two words - 24/7 noise). But, as an ex-B&B, it has plenty enough rooms for all of us, plus a guest room.

The place is advertised as having seven bedrooms. This is the main bedroom (with en-suite and spiral staircase to own sitting room), plus five cupboards and a study/guest room. If we convert the dining room into a bedroom too, that's eight bedrooms. Of course, Dad and Pam have the ultra-large bedroom with en-suite, while us 'kids' get the cupboards and share our own bathroom... I feel a little bitter about the tiny bedrooms, but I guess it at least means I get my own space. I mean, 20-odd years of sharing a bedroom, and in the end, you just grab what you're given!

The house itself is actually a house and 'granny annexe' knocked through together as one. The upstairs of the annexe is coved, so people over 5'10" get to duck as they walk! The two sitting rooms are very large and the rear garden is easily five times larger than the one we have at the moment. But the hallways are narrow, especially the staircases, and it feels a bit like the flats we had to use when we went on self-catering holidays in Norfolk when I was a child. Narrow, slightly cramped, low ceilings, dark, and unnecessary exposed beams (I was told later the beams were fake and we'd just pull them off the walls).

I guess we'll just have to wait and see... I think the fact we're all a bit put out by the small bedrooms is a slight set-back...

No comments: