Sunday, December 19, 2004

The morning after...

Now I know why I have the bigger room in the apartment: the window faces east. I woke up at 9am, sunlight hitting the sheets and refusing to fade even in the smallest measurement. I hide under the covers but I'm overwhelmed by the smell of the smoke still present in my hair and eventually give up all hopes of sleep by 10.30am. To add insult to the injury, I've forgotten shampoo and can't wash my hair. I tie my hair up and soak it in hairspray, which manages to mask the smoke rather well. Despite being tired and not completely sobered, I'm still wary of the frosted glass door of the bathroom and am extremely careful…! I read a bit of my latest purchase, Star Bores: The Original Parody, which is unbelievably funny, and start to poke my Christmas gifts from Andy. It consists of a smallish squishy package and a very heavy box, which I'm told is not a brick, but I can't drop it or get it wet… Hmm…

I decide that I'd like to see Nottingham Castle. If it was good enough for Robin Hood to steal for, then it's good enough for me! Unfortunately, the castle doesn't actually exist anymore and it's basically a house on a hill. Oh, so it's like Bruce Castle? The 'castle' part is just a name? I was disappointed. And it's full of hideous sculptures, scary paintings, and a cabinet full of silverware that looked like the one my grandmother has in her front room. The view is fantastic though and would have been better if we could have stood of the roof of the 'castle'. And Andy's sudden fascination with a squirrel had us (well, him) chasing it round the park for the best part of twenty minutes. It was incredibly cold though and we headed back into town and darted in and out of shops to keep warm. The city centre was really crowded, full of people trying to get last minute Christmas presents, and it got dark really quickly so I had to start heading off for home.

I eventually left about 5pm and got home about 7.30pm. Apparently, my sister had told my father that I was staying round a mate's and didn't divulge any specifics. About 9pm, Dad was about to go out and just said, "By the way, where did you go?"
"Uhm, Nottingham?"
"That's a long drive for a weekend."
"Yeah."
And that was it. Mind you, if he found out it was a male friend, I would have got the third degree. Sometimes, it's best if parents just don't know!

No comments: