Saturday, December 04, 2004

Candlemaking Clare

I decided that I was going to make some of my friends candles for Christmas, in addition to presents that I have already bought them. I've been playing around with the idea for some time and, since the post-Nano blues kicked in, I'm trying to keep myself busy. Candlemaking is a long process and perfect for this type of depression.

So I dig out my brand new ball mould that I bought at a candle supply shop in Covent Garden before it closed down. It's in two halves so, instead of tipping the candle out when it has set, you just unlock the two halves of the mould and break it out that way. I put the two halves together, thread the wick, and seal it. I melt the wax, mix in the stearic acid, and start to slowly pour the mixture into the mould. Anna sets a mat and kitchen paper underneath to catch any drips. We don't want the new kitchen surface damaged. The mixture nearly reaches the top and Anna says, "It's dripping a bit."
I can see a thin line of wax seeping through the side of the mould. "It shouldn't be," I comment. "The mould was watertight when I tested it."

Suddenly, liquid wax starts seeping out at an alarming rate and I lift the mat so I can hold it over the melting bowl. The wax gushes out and I throw it across the cooker, away from me and Anna so we don't get burnt. But there was wax all over the place: over the side, over the cooker, over the grate... Anna looks at me and I ask her if she's okay. Wax burns are not pretty. She says she's fine and then looks at the molten wax, now solidifying over everything.
"Dad's gonna kill you," she says. Great.

I start scrubbing at the grate and cooker top with a wire mesh, and then take an old cloth and rub the wax into the surface, treating it like a polish. After scraping off most of the excess, the drips of wax melted into the side and cooker top, so no injuries there. I then take the remains of the mould and scrape off the now-solid wax from inside and out. I try to put it back together again, but it's not happening.
"Why did it leak?" Anna asks.
"Dunno," I reply, "but it's not going back together."
"The wax must have been too hot and it has warped the mould."

I finally forced the mould together and, after 'fessing up to Dad, he suggested placing the mould in ice water and then letting the wax cool off before pouring it in. When I pour cool wax into an ice-cold mould, it should set quicker and not warp again. Take two, tomorrow! For now, I have my old tested and trusted moulds hard at work in the kitchen. One's plain white and gonna be decorated with beads. One is really tall and gonna be blocks of colour. The third is all one colour and is being mixed with glitter. It's all go. I might try out an ice candle tomorrow if I'm going to be working with ice. They look like fun to make...

No comments: