Saturday, July 16, 2005

Homebound to London

We were up early enough and said a sad farewell to the chalet before handing the keys into Reception and heading back to London. We detoured into Tesco's to pick up the latest Harry Potter book (Jenny bought two copies) and fill up the car one last time. The drive back was relatively quiet, Jenny and Melissa engrossed in their books and me getting quietly happier every time I saw a sign that said we were getting nearer and nearer home.

At Heathrow, I parked accidentally at the wrong terminal so we all took the free tube service between terminals to get Mel to the right one! When we arrived, we discovered that despite the bombings in London, check-in time was still max. three hours before flight take-off and we had planned for four. So we hugged goodbye and Jenny and I rushed back to the previous terminal where Liz had been patiently waiting about ten minutes, and was beginning to think she was in the wrong place…!

I said goodbye to them too and drove home, delighted to actually get a parking spot outside my house. As I struggle to get my stuff from car to house, I realise that the house is empty. But they all know I'm coming home today… (It later transpired that they had all gone to Norfolk for the day as it was my Nan's birthday.) A little upset at not getting a welcome home, I get refreshed and changed, bung some washing in the machine, and have a quick lunch. I then mooch around, waiting for the machine load to finish, when I have the marvellous idea of giving Reuben back his car, and then I won't have to worry about returning it tomorrow…

Back in the car, I search for a jet wash as the car is pretty filthy and I know mine is going to be returned in pristine condition… I pass three and they are all coned off due to the water ban. I reluctantly return the dirty car and Reuben's mother politely offered a drink. I accept and then find myself staying for dinner as relatives are coming over and it'll be nice to meet them etc etc… "I'm tired!" I wanted to yell. "I'm dishevelled and not in the mood to be polite to strangers!" But I didn't and just smiled sweetly and prepared for the worst…

Everything actually turned out okay and I met some very nice people who, in turn, (apparently) think the sun shines where it shouldn't…!! (I heard later that Reuben got a lecture from his uncle along the lines of appreciating me…(!)) I somehow managed to get home and was sooo knackered I didn't wake up until noon the next day!

No comments: