Thursday, July 07, 2005

Exeter

We were all up early and headed out to Exeter. On the way, Reuben texted me to tell me the news that London had been hit by four terrorist bombs: three on the underground and one on a double-decker. The radio was hastily clicked into place and the news was on all the channels. I was shocked and as soon as I had parked up, I desperately texted all my family and friends to make sure they were okay. All but one texted back to say they were fine and were either going home or were avoiding Central London. I felt sad for all those involved in the attacks, but in a way I felt numb too. It is hard to explain fully.

Pushing home events aside, I moved forward to Exeter Cathedral, took some photos, and lit a candle for the London bomb victims. We then walked through the city centre in the blazing heat (such a contrast to Tuesday!) and poked our heads into various shops, notably Lush, where we sampled various creams and sniffed all kinds of soaps and bath bombs. Lunch was in a small cafĂ© tucked behind the High Street shops, where Debbie's cough, which had slowly worsened through the week, was so bad that she couldn't eat. We left Exeter, completed the long drive back to Ilfracombe, and I took Debbie to the local doctor's surgery while Jenny stayed in the chalet and Melissa called Andy. I found the medical centre pretty easily and waited a short while for the doctor. It transpires that Deb's medication is a waste of time and that she should just cough when she needs to. However, he did give her a small vial to hack in to so he could analyse her phlegm… Charming, huh?

No comments: