Friday, July 08, 2005

Arlington Court & Benton

I got to sleep in this morning! Well, not much but enough to feel better. I think I'm burning my candle at both ends – early mornings, late nights, and a dry cough that won't leave me alone! We have a slow breakfast and head to Arlington Court, a National Trust house with a cool collection of horse-drawn carriages and some magnificent grounds, including a gated garden and large pond. The house was full of artefacts and had some really fine and exquisite pieces of art and furniture. Outside the house was a sign to a bat cave. "To the Bat Cave!" we yelled in the style of Batman, but it was merely a room with a small TV screen in the corner. A control panel enabled the camera in the loft to move and focus on the (sleeping) bats. It was rather disappointing… We did get to have a fun but short ride in a horse-drawn carriage and we lunched among coloured and white peacocks.

After Arlington Court I wanted to go to Benton, a nearby village I'd seen on the map. We drove down narrow roads, some only the width of the car, and past wheat that towered high above us… but no Benton. It was possibly the house in the middle of a field that we passed but we can't be certain.

We headed on into Ilfracombe, stopping for souvenirs and Devonshire ice cream. The evening involved takeaway and getting ready for tomorrow's journey to Bournemouth, Dorset. Anna called my mobile to give directions and to warn us that there would be no bed linen. "Crud!" Jenny exclaims while taking notes. After failing to get through to the guy who hired me the chalet, we have a short discussion and decide that if there's no linen hire once we get there, I'll buy some.

No comments: