Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve

Christmas is here yet again. Every year I try to prolong the feeling of excitement which usually lasts until about five days before Christmas. This year was no exception. Before it is even here I'm already fed up with the songs, the food, the endless "What do you want for Christmas?" requests. ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!

Anyhow this year will be different. I know, I say that every year. But this year I know it will. For starters, I'm not living at home, meaning that I won't be woken at some ungodly hour of the morning to open 'Father Christmas' presents. (I'm a bit old for it but you have to keep the secret going for the lil' 'uns). So, nice lie in Christmas Day! The second thing is I'm not spending the day with my family. I'm spending it with Reuben's family, which should be a cool gig. I know for one thing it'll be quieter...

We went to my Dad's this evening for a Christmas shingding. Pam told us it was dinner but when we arrived, my mum's sister was there with her family as well and there was a small buffet on the table, enough to feed 10. The house was bursting full of people: my dad, Pam, three sisters, one brother and his g/f, my mum's sister, her husband and their two kids, Pam's two kids, and me and Reuben. See? Too many people in a small space. It was invariably loud, food and drink was littered all over the place, and it was very warm.

We made our excuses about 9:45pm to go to 10pm mass (midnight mass apparently is in Italian and therefore a no-go) and then got home around 11.30pm. I begged Reuben to open one present. "Please, please, please, pretty-please...?" with the puppy-dog eyes. "No" came back the no-nonsense reply. I stuck my bottom lip out and stomped off to bed. I wanna open a pressie dammit! The car boot is full of 'em!! I guess Christmas hasn't changed much at all...

No comments: