Monday, April 18, 2005

Anna for MP

Anna delighted me this evening with her plans for benefit claims. In light of all the election fuss going on, Anna has decided that she wants her voice to be heard... Well, by me in any case!

She decided that people who claimed for housing benefits should no longer get it. "Why can single women just get pregnant and then be given a house by the Council, rent free?" she moaned. "And then they claim for child benefit support to pay for babysitters, but they don't use them, just pocket the money. And then they get money to send their child to playgroup, and they get money to pay for food..." She trailed off exasperated by her own opinion before launching into much more of the same, including people who claim for housing benefit and can't be bothered to find work... Or people who are given money to help themselves but just spend it on designer gear and cigarettes.

While she was drawing breath, I pointed out that abusing the system would bar people from being able to claim. I got 'The Look' and decided to keep quiet. Obviously abusing the system isn't being accounted for. This could go on all night... This is why I usually don't talk about specific political issues in the public arena!

Anna was only half-serious though. I think she just enjoyed at being able to pick on an issue and then just running with it. I really haven't a clue about the in's and out's of benefit claim... and, to be honest, I don't think she does either!!

No comments: