Tuesday, September 09, 2008

More new things

‘Tis the week for new things! I went for a regular ear check-up and came out with digital hearing aids. It’s different from my old analogue aid in that my old aid just amplified all noises which could be quite painful for instance if there were sirens or road works. Now the only sounds that are amplified are the ones I can’t naturally hear, so in my case, very low frequency and all high frequency. All mid-range noises are amplified very slightly. Some noises that are usually muffled are now sharper. All in all, it’s a more natural hearing experience, although very strange as I’m used to everything being really loud and muffled!

Its all becoming a bit tinny though. And I can’t hear things behind me anymore. And I can’t hear things I used to. For instance, I can’t hear my car engine anymore. But in a way its good as it doesn’t drown out the radio anymore and I don’t have to have it so loud. However, as soon as I start to sing along to the music, my aids think I’m having a conversation and the music becomes quieter, because they cut out background noise to make talking easier. Oh, I’ll get the hang of it eventually!

No comments: