Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Superman Returns

Superman Returns is a great film! Bryan Singer kept the original music without jazzing it up and the original titles, although they were admittedly altered to have cleaner lines for more effectiveness. They even found an actor who looked and spoke like Christopher Reeve! It was all pretty fantasmagorical. Not a fan of Margot Kidder, I found Lois Lane was more likable in this film and a bit more feisty; none of this “Superman, save me!” crap. She helped herself thank you very much! My only complaint was Kevin Spacey, usually a brilliant actor I rarely fault. He was just too nasty as Lex Luthor. Luthor had a bit of class to his nastiness - Gene Hackman would have never ordered his henchmen to beat a Kryptonite-weakened Superman to a pulp. He would have just left him to suffer and die a slow death.

Reuben complained that the older series was better. Yeah, I know, I thought so too. You can never beat the originals, although the first Mission:Impossible film was an exception. He then went on to complain about how he could see where the film had been cut up and edited. (sigh) Never content with just saying that original is best, he always has to deconstruct the film. And yet he complains to me when I say anything negative about his gung-ho films, like when I was just commenting that Rambo II was stupid, story-less and just an excuse for muscle-flexing…

No comments: